Our second task of the day? Making fresh apple juice and hot apple cider, if you like it hot.
Take your pick of any of the beautiful fresh apples from the apple trees.
Earthshine is not only a Mountain Lodge but it also has a naturalist/environmental educator, and wildlife rehabilitator on staff, Steve O'Neil. He takes care of all the animals, has started a turtle refuge there, they have old, old apple trees on site, and they do not even throw any leftover food away, it goes to the turkeys or to the fish in the catfish pond.
The Brooms eagerly awaiting their turn to put their apples into the press!
Boy, don't they look good?
Working hard!!
But, ahhh, it was well worth all that work. That was the best apple juice I have ever had. It was so fresh tasting!
And Steve lights up the fire for those who like their apple cider hot.
Then we learn how to spin wool from the local sheep that get sheered every Memorial weekend. (That would be a fun event)
And then we got to do something Laci has been wanting to do for a long time, gem mining!
There was also log cutting, candle making, and blacksmithing. So, so much I don't have time to name them all. But I think my kids learned more in this one weekend than they could ever learn out of a textbook, and it's all right there onsite!
Then the wonderful kids activity directors took the kids and died Easter eggs with them. And they made their own Easter baskets.
After lunch everyone had a rest and the kids headed off to do their thing while the big kids headed in another direction. Greg had signed us up for a few grown-up activities, one being something called the high ropes or something of that nature. I had no idea what I was getting into. I thought maybe we would do a little hiking, a little balancing act over a stump or two. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS TO COME. We started hiking up the mountain into the woods, and soon we approached a little shed out in the woods. Our activity directors started pulling out helmets, safety ropes and harnesses! Who were those for, was my first thought????!!!! I look at Greg and said, "What in the world did you sign us up for that would require this sort of equipment?"
Well, "the high ropes" was just what it sounds like! And this is the course:
The first task was to climb the net and straddle the log, then try to stand up on the log. NOT EASY!! Okay, don't laugh, but I am far from experienced when it comes to this sort of thing. My hubby on the other hand is an avid hunter and is used to being high in the trees; I on the other hand am not!!!
Two inexperienced goobs!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!! Look how high up we are.
The idea is to shimmy your way to the other side on this tight rope. You must lean forward on the other rope, if you stand straight up or lean backwards, it will knock your whole balance off.
And then I head on over to meet my partner on what they call "the giggle box." The idea is you and your partner walk the tight rope together. But the tricky part is you and your partner must balance off of each other. Too much weight on one side or the other will send you tumbling one way or the other. Need I say, that safety rope around me to catch my fall was not making me feel any better!
It's called "the giggle box" but I didn't find anything funny about it AT ALL. As a matter of fact, my palms were sweating, my mouth was dry, and I literally was almost to the end and couldn't get there fast enough! I think I was clinching onto Greg for dear life. But you can check the smile on his face for yourself.
Oh, wait, that's not all, we then head over to "the leap of faith." Oh, yes, it's exactly what it sounds like it is.
Here's how it works. You climb up a tree onto a platform about 30 feet in the air.
You stand on the edge of the platform, freefall towards the ground, or if you're real adventurous you can go for the bar, then let go.
Meet Lisa. She's standing at the bottom, and you place all your faith in her that she will pull your slack before you splatter to the ground!
Boy, she sure is good! But this is where I draw the line. I AM NOT GETTING UP THERE AND FREEFALLING 30 FEET TO THE GROUND!
Well, I ended up caving in to peer pressure. So I stood on the platform cursing Greg for all it was worth!
My friend Lori had a posting the other day on her blog where she asked the question, "What could a friend talk you into doing?" or something to that affect. And, Lori, this is it, baby, no turning back, I had to jump!!! And I was screaming the whole way down, and I felt a sigh of relief when Lisa pulled my slack. Am I out of my mind or what??
The kids were across the field from us and wanted to come and get a closer look. Check out this cute little future jumper -
He will probably be a little braver than his mommy! I think I was the only one screaming for dear life!
But please, tune in next time and see what else Earthshine had in store for us! The adventure is not over yet!


1 comment:
Wow Beth this is AWESOME!!!!
Girl, I would have been like you, scared to death. I've seen that 'leap of faith' on the Biggest Loser last season, and I don't know if I'd be able to do it either, but I think we limit ourselves by our own doubt in what we are capable of.
Didn't it feel awseome when you'd done it? You are an inspiration. Makes me want to do it too- scared to death, but WOW how exilirating!
Now I REALLY want to go here. It seems like the perfect weekend getaway.
Post a Comment