Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Thursday, November 28, 2013

MAKING CHOICES ~

 
The kiddos have loved school.  Really, really loved school.  And I must say, we are very blessed to have a great school system.  I couldn't be happier with that.  The principal is most dedicated, and our teachers are wonderful and love those kids.  The opposite information of what you might hear in the realms of homeschooling circles.
 
People homeschool for many different reasons.  I love the fact that you can pick out whatever curriculum is right for your family, and I loved the one we did.  I honestly think it has helped our kids with the rigorous curriculum that the public schools have gone to.  And quite frankly, I like what we've gone to.  It challenges my kids and keeps their minds moving.  But it may not be so great if your child struggles with school work, because you move along at a fast pace.  In homeschooling I also liked the fact you could field trip with other families!  That was always fun.
 
But truthfully, homeschooling was not the ideal setting for my kids.  They were bored here at home with no other kids around, especially for Caleb who would rather have a boy buddy than a sister buddy!  Not that sisters are all bad, but boys are much more fun.  He gets to play football at recess.  How can you beat that?
 
So if you homeschool, why?  Maybe your child needs a little extra one-on-one help with curriculum, maybe your child doesn't fit into the whole hamster wheel mold idea of public school.  Maybe your child could give a flip about the socializing aspect of public school.  Maybe your child just plain doesn't fit in.  And that's okay, one size does not fit all.  Maybe you homeschool because your family enjoys being around one another and you love teaching them. 
Or do you homeschool out of fear?  Fear the world will corrupt your children, fear of the unknown, fear your children will not make the right choices?
 
I know quite a few homeschoolers who homeschool out of fear.  They don't realize it.  But when I hear them talk, they literally give themselves away.  I had some of the same fears myself.  But the truth is, the only people I found myself around was people who went to my church, and the people I homeschooled with.  They were all Christians, hopefully being taught the same values as mine.  And I can tell you, we have had more talks with our children about character and needing the love of Jesus since our children have been in school than when they weren't.  Sure, you want to protect your children from bad language. Then the opportunity is there to teach your children to pick friends wisely.  To walk away from that sort of stuff.
 
At the same time, I have old homeschool friends that the second they heard my kids went into public school - I haven't heard from them since.  I suppose they feel my public school kids will corrupt theirs.  As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure of it.
 
So far my children are doing a good job of choosing wisely.  How do I know?  Because they tell us everything that happens at school.  And we talk about it.  Why this person acts the way they do, why "I" myself am not so perfect, right?  And we are not perfect, no matter how much we try to be, or would like to think we are, right?  Our kids surely aren't.  And we are not all blessed with parents who teach us morales or good character or even love! Is that the child's fault?
 
---------------------------------------------
 
I love Caleb's teacher.  He's had her two years in a row.  She does not scold, does not say "bad job," "you did the wrong thing," or anything of that sort. She chooses to say "You've made a bad choice."  She's always talking in terms of choices when it comes to behavior.  And she makes the children explain why they've made a bad choice.  What is a bad choice?  We explain it to our kids in this way:  Do you want to take the right path (God's way), or the wrong path - which will certainly bring you much grief and hardship.
 
She also sends me pictures of Caleb working throughout the day.
 
 
Caleb is reading his latest letter from his pen pal.  His teacher has partnered with some senior citizens of our county to pen pal with the kids.  Caleb's pen pal's last name is Flower, so when he addresses his letter to her, he draws a flower by her name.  Cute ...
They will have an opportunity to meet their pen pals next month and enjoy a little Christmas party with them.  He is really excited about that.  I know those little ole' seniors will enjoy these kids.
 
Legos have been a big learning experience at school.  I'll share some of that with you later.  It's really cool!
 
 
Ms. Teacher also keeps me informed of what's going on at school with pictures, comments on progress reports, and Class Dojo.  Class Dojo is an online program that tracks your behavior throughout the day.  If you're a teacher, check it out.  It's really cool.  She has started a points system and throughout the day she can log her points online immediately and by the end of the day you have your child's progress on a cute little system that rates how well they've done - OR NOT!
Oh, and by the way, that is Caleb's best friend Gage in the picture with him - not a girl!!  Although I think he's never had a haircut :)
 
 
You know I held Caleb back in first grade to kindergarten.  When he entered school, it was suggested he wasn't prepared for the writing curriculum that they had implemented.  In first grade they were already writing stories when all I was doing was teaching copy work.  He has caught up and even surpassed his level.  They do not have advanced classes in second grade,  per se, but they have what's called nurturing AIG.  It's a handful of kids that are a little advanced in a certain area.  He has been picked to participate in this class.  Guess what the class is?  Reading and writing!!!  His teacher also has him doing advanced math. 
We make the best choices at the time, don't we?  Oh, well, just means he won't struggle, right?
 
Laci is off to the middle school next year.  I hope her experience will be as good as her elementary years.  I am friends with the assistant principal there so I feel good about the fact she will be in good hands. And she will come together with some great friends from church that will also merge into that same school with her.  They all are on the same "grade" level so I hope they have some classes together.
 
so, just a little synopsis there about making choices and filling you in on what's happening.  So far we've made the best choice for this season of our lives, and enjoying every minute of it. 
 
Hey, let's talk Legos later ...
 
 


1 comment:

Beth said...

Laci in middle school!! How is that possible? That means I will soon have a middle schooler! Yikes!

I agree with you, Beth. Public school can be scary. We pulled our kids out to protect them from certain elements we weren't comfortable with... mostly a negative learning environment. This isn't across the board by any means, just at the particular school our kids would attend. Of course, I AM less than thrilled with Common Core :-/

Next year, we plan to put at least two in school, maybe 3. Because I know homeschooling is not a good long term solution for our kids. We are looking at trying to transfer to another public school (if they let us), or private school. Nothing is perfect. You just have to make due with what you have available!

Your kiddos are awesome. I'm glad they're thriving in their classes. :-)