Me and My Family
- Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!
Friday, April 1, 2011
QUILTING QUEST
We had some felt squares lying around the house and Laci had this grand idea in her head to make something using the felt squares and she was trying her best to put her artistic expression to work, but she couldn't make it work the way she had it planted in her head. She told her dad what she was trying to do and so they set out to find someone to help her. Someone told them about the Quilting Quest. The ladies there are fabulous and they helped Caleb and Laci make me this wonderful art collage (all done on fabric) and their dad had it framed. They helped them with sewing the fabric together, putting their pictures on an applique'. You can actually write on that stuff. I didn't even know you could do all of that!
My gift is hanging on the wall in the living room. I consider it priceless.
And in the midst of it all we found out that the lady who owns the Quilting Quest is a neighbor on the next street over! While Laci was at the shop, she inquired about quilting lessons. So her and her daddy bought me a gift certificate for Laci and I to take quilting lessons. So we started a few weeks ago, and it's really been fun! Three hours each week we go and spend with other ladies. Caleb stays with a sitter friend of ours, and he gets so excited when she comes. It's worked out great! (One thing I love about homeschooling is a flexible schedule to do the things you enjoy.)
But if you have not been in the Quilting Quest shop, you must visit it. All of their material is 100% cotton (the best material for making quilts), and they come in every beautiful color imaginable ~
I'm liking quilting so much that I've decided my future plans will be to make Caleb and Laci a quilt of their own. And as much as I love all of that beautiful material at the shop, I have different ideas. I've been taking their clothes that they've grown out of lately and cutting them up for scrap material (sorry Goodwill).
They have favorite clothes they've loved to wear over the years, so I thought it would be a good memorable keepsake for them if I made them a quilt using their old clothes! Quilting has definitely changed over the years, though. Most people sew them with a machine nowadays, not like in the day of my grandmother. You can literally see every stitch she made by hand in this quilt.
If you go to the shop, you can see all sorts of wonderful quilts hanging on the walls. All of them very symmetrical. But beautiful nonetheless.
But I have a feeling mine will look a little something like this ~
It's a good thing I love its character.
We've learned a few different styles so far. At the end of our six weeks we will have learned 12 different varieties in all ~
"Asymmetric Pinwheel" :) "Scrap Pile"

No comments:
Post a Comment