We do have a swing set in our backyard, but sometimes we just enjoy going to the park on a nice day. So last Sunday our whole family went after lunch. Another thing I love about my kids is they love to meet and play with anybody and everybody, it doesn't matter what color they are, what size, how old, or whether they even speak English or not. It's usually Laci who is the meeter and greeter, and brother Caleb just usually follows suit. But this day was different.
Michael stepped on the scene.
I was over watching Laci play in the "make-believe" store under the playset while Caleb played on top. Laci was yelling for her brother but he was not listening. Something else had caught his attention. As I approached, all I could hear was Caleb saying, in his deaf-tone voice that he uses most times, "What's wrong with him? Why does he have that thing around his neck," et cetera, et cetera. Michael could barely walk, he had a tube attached to him that enabled him to breathe, and his face was disfigured in every way imaginable; ears, eyes, and nose. Michael could hear but he could not speak. And then his precious mother spoke up. And she began to answer all of the questions Caleb's little mind could muster up. What a sweet, sweet woman! As is usually the case with Caleb, once this wonderful mother talked to Caleb about Michael's different disabilities, he was content with her answers (he has to have answers!!!) And as I listened to this mother, I could tell she was a veteran at this, and has probably told this story of her Michael a million times over.
Michael's mother tried to tell Michael how to go thru the tube, but he just was not understanding, so she asked Caleb if he would like to help show Michael what to do. So he went into action right away. And my heart smiled as I watched Caleb show Michael "the ropes." He showed him how to crawl thru the tube, climb the stairs so that he could go down the slide. And it was obvious that within a few short minutes, Caleb no longer noticed Michael's disabilities. He played with him for the rest of the afternoon, and I got to enjoy a sweet conversation with his mother. What a wonderful, upbeat woman. How special a person God thought she must be to care for one of his special children.
Shortly after that we piled in the car and headed home. And then the questions and curiosity about Michael started to fly once again. I noticed that Laci had been a little standoffish at the park, and in the car in a very humble, but embarrassed little voice, Laci confessed that Michael scared her. Greg and I assured her that this was a very understandable reaction, and that what she was feeling was quite normal. It also gave us the opportunity to teach our children that not all children come in the form of what we may consider "normal" and that some children are born with what are called disabilities. But that God surely loved them just the same as you or I.
It also gave me the opportunity to tell them about my friend Tammy McNair Smith, and her son Webb, who was also born with disabilities. They wanted to know did he have a wheelchair, and when I replied "yes" their little ears perked up wanting to hear more.
I've known Tammy most of my whole life. She loves the Lord, and she doesn't mind telling you about it, although if you met her you would know it without her saying a single word. Tammy and her family lived around the corner from me when I was young, then their family moved out of the neighborhood. Many years passed and I finished high school, decided to put off college for a few years, and landed a job under the supervision of Tammy. I worked with her for 5 years, left to go back to college where it would be many years again before I would hear from her. I finished college, got married, moved to NC and one day received an e-mail in my box, from none other than Tammy. I don't even remember how she got it. (But I'm glad she did). Then I had my first baby, and as it usually goes when you have children, you lose touch with most people, and so it would be many more years before I would hear from Tammy again. Then I received her book in my mailbox.
I remember how excited Tammy was when her and Steve got the news that they were having their first child and it would be a boy. "Webb" is a family name, and so it would their first child's name as well. And so it was. But it didn't take them long to figure out things just weren't right with little Webb. And then so begins their journey thru what any family could never even imagine. Webb's disabilities have never come in the form of any certain diagnosis, even after visiting every sort of specialist in the world known to man, nor the hundreds of operations he has received. But it's awesome reading about the Smith family journey and to what may discourage, and probably does for many families today, they continue to overcome, with God's help and guidance.
Focus on the Family is looking at Tammy's book. God willing, they'll deem it acceptable for their marketing. I don't know why they wouldn't, it's chaulked full of scripture, praise and worship. But you don't have to live with disability in order to read this great little book, IT'S FOR EVERYBODY! It's short and sweet, so it won't take you long to read it. I read it in two days (with 2 children running amuck). It has blessed me tremendously, and it will you too. I've actually read it twice, when I received it, and after meeting Michael. I laughed and I cried through the whole book (both times). Please shoot me an e-mail if you would like a copy to read. It will be my gift to you! Read about how Tammy and Steve found out their purpose in this life through their son Webb.
God says we were all put here for a purpose. What is yours?


2 comments:
What a touching post. And yes, I would like to read Tammy's book.
Beth - What a sweetheart you are! Imagine my surprise when I went to your blog this morning & saw this post. I am so humbled that you would take the time to tell our story from your viewpoint - you're an awesome, Godly friend! I also want to say that your little Caleb is 'the man' & that him playing with Michael has much to do with the wonderful upbringing his sweet parents are providing him with. Thanks again & have a blessed day.
Post a Comment