Well, school has started, like several weeks ago! So the reason you haven't heard from me lately. One of our favorite classes have started back, Classical Conversations, and so have oral presentations, first day back.
There's lots of things I love about CC, and one of them is the oral presentations. Boy, I learn so much from them. The topic has to be about something we've talked about in the previous week or weeks. No more show-and-tell for Caleb, it's strictly oral presentation this year. So to be more efficient with our time, they will be working on the same topics each week. But on the first day it's all about getting to know your classmates (if you don't already). So you usually talk about yourself; i. e., things you like to eat, do, things about your family.
So Caleb's tutor (a/k/a teacher for the day) made them "All About Me Tee" shirts to use for their first presentation.
And Laci shared about how much she enjoys playing music with her dad, and spendng time with her family. She also expressed how much she enjoys playing with her brother (I told you, I learn something new every week!!!)
But getting up in front of your peers (and their mothers!!) and giving your presentation isn't enough. You have to learn to do it correctly. You use your paper for notes to refer to only, you do not read from them. So you refer to your notes, then make eye contact with your peers and say what you want to say. It takes practice, once you get over your stage freight. But you can always tell the seasoned veterans, they're not shy at all.
So we always practice at home and make sure we know our material before we head out, so as not to fall into the trap of "reading." Your subject matter can be science, music, art, English, History, Geography, Bible, a special field trip you've been on, et cetera.
I'm looking forward to an interesting year! I just needed to get back into routine mode from the busy summer months.
I was talking to an old friend of mine from MS. and she said, "I bet you're learning a lot from homeschooling."
I said, "I am, and I'm only up to second grade!"
I hope all of you are having a great head start for the new school year!


1 comment:
I learn a lot from reading about your adventures- like that Pluto is no longer a planet..
I love this concept with not only them giving the presentation, but also them actually learning HOW. That will be SO helpful later in life.
I love to talk, but still hate public speaking
Post a Comment