Three weeks in and my little L. serves as the Shining Light star of her class this week. I suppose the teacher picks the Shining Lights, I'm not sure. They announse it over the loudspeaker, she gets to wear a "Shining Light" badge all week, she gets to lead the line everywhere, all of her classmates have to write something nice about her, and she gets to stand up in front of the class and tell about all the favorite things she likes. And she gets to invite a good friend to eat lunch with her. And that would be me :) She has a new science project due a month from now on the solar system, and has to present it to her class. She's already got grand ideas and started working on it when she got home from school yesterday. Certainly nothing like her mother and father when they were in school, who would always wait until the last minute!! There are times when you are certainly glad they do not take after you in some respects.
Caleb is writing away in school. He is reading almost everything he sees (or trying to). He came home yesterday with a writing assignment. It went like this: Write at least three lines telling about your favorite day of the week, why it's your favorite, and describe whether it was inside, outside, et cetera. WITH NO HELP FROM YOUR PARENTS!
And this is what he wrote:
He could have written about his basketball games ~
He could have written about his new dog ~
But he didn't. He talked about how he liked Sundays because he could go to church and worship God. Now, he doesn't always sit still in church, and he might even talk halfway through the service, but he certainly has a good idea about what Sundays is all about.
I did a Bible study several years ago, there was a sweet girl in there whose child went to a neighboring county school. One day she was to write something about her mom that makes her happy. The girl wrote that it made her mom happy to read God's word. The teacher made the girl erase her assignment because the word "God" was not allowed. There is actually another school in our county that does not allow such things (maybe more, I don't know). And I do not know the rule at our school. But it will be interesting to see. Practically Caleb's teacher's whole family goes to our church and her father is one of the elders, so I'm guessing it won't be an issue. But I'll keep you posted.
Sometimes you do actually get a glimpse inside the heart of a six-year-old boy, and you actually do want to smile. God gets to see the inside all of the time, and I assured Caleb that it was a sweet thing he wrote about and that I was sure God was smiling upon him!

No comments:
Post a Comment