
We're going on our second week of school now, and the kids are still loving it. I have been thinking for some time now that maybe my kids would go to school next year, but as time marched on I saw them becoming more bored at home, and the arguing between them increasing. My children are totally social and one likes the companionship of girls and the other companionship of boys. So it was time. We enrolled them in the local school two miles from our house. Since we live in a small community, it is a very small elementary school. In this community everyone is either kin or they know everyone around. The teachers and staff at this school are so sweet. I just love them. I have a sweet friend that teaches fourth grade there and she walks into the cafeteria each day and gives my daughter a big hug!
Laci's class is really close friends, with the majority being boys! But that doesn't bother Laci any. She is enjoying each and every one of them, and has made many friends already. All her tests so far have been 100's, with the exception of math, 95.
Some of the schools here have implemented a very rigorous course of study in the past few years in order to compete globally. The kids had to test before entering, and they thought it a good idea to put Caleb in Kindergarten because his writing abilities were not up to par. But I have to say, it was the right decision. He hates handwriting, but seems to be doing well. His reading is definetly on first grade level, and math is certainly past k, he needs to work on writing skills before going to first grade. He says to me last week, "Mama, kindergarten is too easy for me." And while that is true, they do lots of writing and his teacher is willing to work with him on his writing skills. Because in first grade they do lots of writing sentences - not copywork - but actually writing papers. Seems young to me, but that's all good.
I've seen an enormous change in my son's behavior since starting school. I know it's only been a short time, but he comes right home, does his homework immediately, and seems to be more independent, which is maybe what he needed. But he also misses his mommy, I can tell - "Mommy, help me pick out clothes, mommy help me brush my teeth, mommy, do you want to walk with me down by the creek?" But he does pick out his clothes for school, puts up his dishes when finished eating, and other things too.
They like going to the cafeteria to pick out their own lunch, and the school has other chores for them to do to gain independence and teach responsibility. It has all been a true blessing. And because of their rigorous course of study, that means mommy still does lots of teaching on the side!
Their days seems to fly by faster for them, and they are literally pooped at night. I suppose they needed a little more stimulation throughout the day. I'm glad to have those memories with them all these years, but I'm also glad they will have school memories too. We will miss Classical Conversations and all of the families there. They have been so sweet. I am glad that Laci has been working on some things in her class now in science that we learned last year in Classical. She feels she has an arm up. And we've had lots of history, which is something they haven't gotten into in third grade yet.
I feel 100% good about our decision thus far. We still have 4 months left so all things could change by then, but for now, it was needed. Lots of things going on in our home these days. For now, I am getting caught up on some things around the house that has been lacking for quite some time now. The days are flying by for me as well ~
A Time for Everything
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die:
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to tear, and a time to cast away;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

1 comment:
Glad things are going well! I will let you know, Caleb was the calmest/quietest he has ever been in class at church last night! I think he must have been worn out from a busy day :-)
Post a Comment