Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Share the True Spirit of Christmas ~

I've been thinking a lot about Christmas lately. It's not like our family has a need for ANYTHING. We have all that we need, and more. So, I'm thinking this year, and Greg and I have been discussing it, the kids are going to get one major thing, and a few things for the ole stocking. What my heart really desires is to give to others who have less than the everyday necessities.

To give a gift that keeps on giving ~



I don't know if you've received your gift catalog from World Vision yet, but I've been thumbing through it, and I can't wait for our family to get together and pick out some special gifts for those less fortunate. And by the way, World Vision is a wonderful organization, providing families in third world countries with sustainable life.

At the cost of $75, you can provide a goat for a whole family that will provide them with milk throughout the year. The goat can also reproduce, and the family can sell surplus milk, cheese, and yogurt at the market to earn money for medicines and other necessitites. Plus, fertilizer from goats can increase the amount of vegetables grown in a family garden.


The gift of $25 can buy two chicks to supply the family with eggs (plenty of protein) on a daily basis.


You get the idea!

10 ducks                  $  60
sheep                       $105 (one of the most popular gifts)
10 fruit trees            $  60
seeds for 1 family    $  17
lifesaving meds        $ 35, $50, $100
mosquito nets
education
well for water
Bibles
clothes
soccer balls
business loans to start their own business



Get your catalog here, and give the gift that keeps on giving.

Send a card along with your gift ~


Maybe you would like to give a gift in someone else's name, in their honor. Do you know someone that you just don't know what to do for them, or what to give them? Give a gift to someone else for someone else.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another favorite idea?  The One for One Movement, TOMS shoes.
You all have heard this story. For every pair of TOMS shoes sold, Blake Mycoskie (the founder of TOMS) will give a child in Africa, Argentina, and Ethopia a free pair of shoes. I love his business model.

Please read Blake's book Start Something that Matters. He's such an awesome 32-year-old. He's started 5 businesses in his life, but it wasn't until he went on a trip to Argentina and saw that most children there had never owned a pair of shoes that he was moved to start something that mattered. The children's feet were dirty and had open wounds. He went back to L.A. and couldn't stop thinking about those kids. So he went to work on TOMS shoes, with the idea of giving back to these children. And that's how TOMS shoes got started. Literally in his living room. He is so moved and motivated by what he is doing that he eventually sold everything he owned (even all the gadgets and TVs and such) and moved onto a sailboat, with various books and a computer, and that's where he lives today.  I won't tell you the whole story. Read the book!

Sometimes I feel like doing that, selling most things I own and living on little. That's how much most things mean to me. I could actually live without electronics, except maybe a phone. But other things just don't mean that much to me. I'm simple.

If you never intend on becoming an entrepreneur, you can still start something that matters. Give a pair of TOMs shoes as a Christmas gift, and another pair will be delivered to a child who needs them most. They come in all sizes and colors; women, men, and children. Just know these shoes only come in a wide width, which most people can wear, except my daughter (her foot is extremely narrow), however, they will definitely fit me! I think they look great on guys, although some guys may not be so hip to the idea.





Isn't he a cutie? All you single women out there need to head to L.A.!! He's cute, smart, kind-hearted. What more could you ask for??

Anyway, back to the shoes. Oh, and One for One also works for a pair of TOMS reading glasses. And probably whatever else he can think of that might benefit others.

There are so many great ways to help people. Check around in your community for ways of giving. The Charity League here in our town decorates a beautiful home each year at Christmas and charges to go through and view the beautifully decorated home. All the money goes to charity. It's something fun to do with your family. There's always your local homeless shelter and food banks that are always in great need.

Have you thought about how your family could help someone else this year?

I've been thinking about it. And we might just do more than one thing!

No comments: