Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Monday, May 18, 2009

LACI'S FIRST SLEEPOVER


It was Laci's friend Meredith's 6th birthday this past Saturday, and for her birthday she wanted to have some good friends to spend the night. So Friday night I dropped my little darling off, for the whole night. Laci and Meredith are only a few weeks apart in age, and all of these girls go to church together.

My thoughts are that 6 is a little young for spend-the-nights, but we've known this family for the past 10 years, and they are part of our church family, so we were okay with her staying with them. But knowing how my little darling is, I figured not much sleep would be happening. She gets overly excited about such things. And I was right, she was the only one still up at 12:15 a.m. Can you tell in the picture that her eyes look a little puffy?

They had a blast, though. They made crafts, had pizza and doughnuts, watched movies, and painted toenails (which daddy wasn't real thrilled about). "But, Daddy, they're princess toes."

Daddy is not liking his little girl growing up. I can't believe she will be six in three short weeks. I remember when these little girls were just babies.

This is just our feelings, and everyone may not feel the same way: I love it that Laci loves to have so much fun with her friends, and she was so looking forward to the sleepover, but we do struggle with when is the appropriate time for such things; sleepovers, toe painting, staying up past 9:00. She has plenty of time for such things when she's older, but every now and then, it's okay!

And of course the next day, when not enough sleep was had, the crankiness was really kicking in. We had plans to go to a festival Saturday, and Aunt Carol was in town and went with us, by the time we headed home around 5:00, the kids were almost unbearable; fussing about nothing, arguing, whining. So we may save any future sleepovers for when she is older, and can handle staying up those late hours, or when we can handle her staying up those late hours :)

3 comments:

Buffie Cullens said...

I think Corinna was the first to fall asleep. It was probably her snoring that kept Laci awake!

Beth said...

Isaac and Laci are cut from the same cloth with the sleep thing... he habitually can't fall asleep until 11:00pm. We were only brave enough to have ONE friend spend the night on his 6th B-day... and they did not fall asleep until around midnight.

I know what you mean about little girls growing up too fast. While we don't mind the nail painting, I think pierced ears will have to wait until around the age of 10. But everyone if different, and that is just my preference like you said.

Wizardress said...

It sure looks like they had a blast though, and her princess toes were adorable.