Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Strawberry Pick'n



It's that time of year in the Carolinas. Yep, we've been to the strawberry patch, pickin us a batch of strawberries. I ran into a friend of mine there from my Bible study class and she was there with her little girl picking strawberries too. She says to me, "What do you do with all these strawberries?"

What? The better question is, "What can you not do with these little beauties?" There's strawberry pie, strawberry cake, strawberry jam/jelly, homemade strawberry ice cream. You can snack on them as is, freeze them, put them in your pancakes, on your waffles. The imagination is endless.

We just put ours in a bowl and set them outside while we were riding our bikes and snacked on them all afternoon!


Don't they look wonderful? Well, they are! Super sweet, super juicy, and just yum-yum good. Greg said there just wasn't any strawberries out there that he's tasted that just didn't taste a little tart. But he hadn't tasted these babies yet. And when he did, he said "They really are delicious!" It was a Green Eggs and Ham moment!

When me and my brother and sister were young, my mom used to make us these great mini strawberry cakes, so I made them for my little ones too.


But one of my all-time favorites is a strawberry smoothie that I make. It's oh so good, and healthy too. This one is made with tofu so it's great for a meal substitute. And don't be scared of the tofu, my children steal this drink from me every time I make it.

Recipe:
1/2 cup of Soy milk

1/2 cup of Silken Tofu (silken for smoothies and desserts)

1 cup of fresh cut strawberries

1 tablespoon of honey

1 cup of ice

You can always substitute the Soy milk for whatever milk you normally drink, but the Soy milk gives it a really creamy taste. And of course a fresh strawberry on the side is a must. At least my kids think so anyway.

So let's hear some of your strawberry creations.

1 comment:

Wizardress said...

I bought 4 1/2 pounds of strawberries today and I can't stay away from them. They are the sweetest, juciest I've had in a longgg time, and I told Marcel tonight that I wanted to go back and get more.

I'm going to try the smoothie, but with fat-free milk, and fat-free greek yogurt. I'll let you know how it goes :)


I love strawberry shortcakes, although i haven't had one on soo long. I am tempted to make some, not for myself, but to share with the dutch, as it's something different for them.

They have other dutch treats though- such as this thing called a strawberry canoe, which is a sugar cookie type base, filled with a sort bavarian cream, with strawberries and fresh whipped cream on top. It's GOOD, but unfortnately not for the calorie conscious lol