Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Sunday, July 5, 2009

ONE OF THOSE WEEKS!!!

I would love to say it's been one of those days, but it hasn't, it's been ONE OF THOSE WEEKS. No, you haven't missed the post on Yellowstone because I haven't had time to post it yet, but it's coming.

It's been a cRAzy week. It started out with Laci and I going to get our hair cut. It just couldn't wait any longer. They had one opening for the next two weeks, so we took the only one available. Laci got her hair cut first, then it was mama's turn. Midway through my haircut my four-year-old was about ready to swing from the chandelier. I guess most of you know what it's like trying to get your hair cut with two little ones in tow. About like going to the dentist; your children are little angels until your mouth becomes full of fingers and knuckles, then the action starts - argghh.

Then one day we're headed to a friend's house who had a birthday present for Laci, so we stopped in to pick it up. Clearly she lives on the other end of the county, but next to a grocery store so we stop in for a few necessities, since we did have to eat, you know. So we shop throughout the whole store, wait in line, then check out. Your bill is ... Okay, where's my debit card? Where's all my cards? No checks left either. Not to mention there's a growing line behind me. I was shocked, where is all my stuff? My children are yelling at the top of their lungs "What's the matter, mommy, do you not have enough money to pay for our groceries?" And the sweet lady behind me, who also goes to church with us, offers me the last $50 to her name. I thanked her profusely, but unfortunately it was not enough to cover my bill. My children continued to ask me what was wrong, and I told Laci I could not find any of my things. I was sort of panicky because I thought maybe they were stolen. And then she says, "ooh, oh yeah, you know, Caleb and I were playing with them yesterday and we left them in our pockets." I was sooo mad.

The lady tells me I can park the buggy and come back. So I did, even though I had tons of dairy products in there.

So what to do now. First of all, I hate going grocery shopping. Once in a week is enough, but twice in a day would be devastating for me, especially with two children who like it as much as I do. So I decided to head home, find the cards, turn around and go back to get my already gathered groceries. Then I head my children back home, lined them up in the kitchen, and well, let's just say they were none too happy ...

And since we've been on the go so much recently, we decided this 4th of July we would just spend it at the pool, then head home for a little grilling out. I can't even remember the last time we cooked anything on the grill. While Greg was rummaging around in the basement, he came across our old ice cream maker. "We've got to make some" he says. "When is the last time we had homemade ice cream? I don't believe the kids have ever had any." So I ask him if he found all the parts. "Yes, I found them all, put it together and it works fine." Well, I had already been to the store for a few things for the grill (again, just another day). So he said he would go get a few things for the ice cream. So he heads to the store for a second time and comes back. I mix all the ingredients for our favorite homemade ice cream, and I'm ready to pour it in. "Where's the paddle?"

"Paddle? Oooh, I don't know." NO PADDLE. It's missing. Can you believe it? Five eggs down the drain. Well, Greg was dead set on making this ice cream, so I call Wal-Mart to see if they have any ice cream makers left. No, sold out. I call another store and yes, they have a few left. So we're back to the store again. And all I kept thinking about was, we could be in Mississippi, at the Brooms house with all the cousins enjoying Mr. Broom's famous fried catfish out on the lawn, with all the fixins, and then heading down to the beach for the firework show, but it was not to be this year.

The ice cream did finally turn out wonderful. (It works especially good if you have all the parts). And the weather was unbelievable. This was the most pleasant 4th of July, weather-wise, I have seen. And we enjoyed doing as little as possible!


1 comment:

Wizardress said...

Girl I hate those kind of days, but they are the ones we can laugh out later aren't they?

i haven't had homemade ice cream in years.. What kind did y'all make?