
My sister has gotten into running recently. And somehow she conned my brother-in-law into running in the Azalea Run a couple of weekends ago.
Now, Greg also runs, and has run for many years. They have a gym at work and he runs anywhere from 5-7 miles a day on his lunch break. So when David, my brother-in-law, sent us this picture, Greg started saying crazy stuff like:
Wow, that would be fun if we ran in runs together.
I can teach you to train for a 5K. It's really not as hard as you might think.
You just do this ... And this ...
Let's do that. It would be fun.
Now, I don't know about you, but I've never been much of a runner. I'm more of a Yoga kind of girl. Although I have been running some at the gym lately, I always have this problem of commitment: I'm going good and all of a sudden someone gets sick and I miss the next week or two; or Greg goes out of town for a week and I'm just not able to make it; or this, or that ... The list goes on and on. Committing to a regular workout schedule is hard for most people, but put kids into the mix and it's almost impossible to stay consistent. Now, recently Greg has been out of town, gotten a horrible staph infection and, well, needless to say, I haven't been in about three weeks. So I'll start again and feel like I just started from scratch. That's what I hate about working out. I never seem to get very far!
But I must say, David, your running mate looks much better than the running mate Greg had this past year at Brevard's Halloween Fest and the "Flight of the Vampire" 5K Run. Year before last he had the pleasure of running with the Run Away Bride. Yes, there was a runner there in her wedding dress, tennis shoes, and vail blowing in the wind as she ran through the streets of Brevard. It is loads of fun watching everyone dress up and run through the streets. So Greg thought the kids would get a kick out of him dressing up. So he decided to be Captain America. As he ran past houses everyone shouted "Go Captain America." There are some out there who still remember who Captain America is.
So Carol and Dave, if you want to meet us in Brevard this fall, grab you a neat costume and come along! You might even get to meet Medusa. (The kids were so wondering how all the snakes didn't fall out of her hair as she was running.)


3 comments:
So, funny! The costume run is a riot. I had no idea greg ran. 5-7 miles a day is IMPRESSIVE to say the least!
I started running recently, and have really stuck to it (well in a 3-4 days a week sort of sticking to it). But I can't go very far yet. I can do a mile with a couple of short walking breaks. I do love feeling less and less winded... so much so that it keeps me motivated to press on.
But you're right. Kids and a fitness regiment sometime don't mix well. Daniel kept me out of a gym for over 18 months!
Ya got me there on the costume pic. I thought the Medusa chick was you at first.
I've never been a runner. I'm one of those who can never get the breathing technique quite right. However, on recent walks, I've tried to run short distances. You know, to the next mailbox. I'm hoping to increase my endurance and maybe soon I'll make it around the whole neighborhood.
This is too cute- You know, I've been wanting to start running myself just for something different but I find it difficult to to alone. I did run this week on the beach with JJ at my side and that was wonderful. Now if I can just be consistent.
I bet Captain America made a huge impression. Didn't he get hot in that thing?
It is hard to be consistent with working out when so many little things can come up and blow your plans out of the water. I completely understand and I don't even have two little ones.
Post a Comment