As a homeschooling mom, one of the opportunities I have throughout the day with my children is sharing the gospel with them, sharing conversations about God and the worship He truly deserves. Lately, each morning, we have been doing a devotion and memorizing Psalm 139:1-24. And I say "lately" because we work on our memory verses for Classical Conversations, our chatechisms at church, but I am sorry to say my morning devotions are somewhat lacking on some days. As a matter of fact, I am not very disciplined in a lot of things that I would like to be. It's so easy to jump up and start out the day getting dressed, worrying about what to serve for breakfast, and being anxious to get school started and over with so that I can wash dishes, wash clothes, straighten my house, what will I plan for my dinners this week ... and on and on I could go.
Last week the kids and I had a conversation on the worship of God that stemmed from one of our devotions. What exactly does worshipping God look like? What does that entail?
I said to the kids, you know, when your dad and I was in China and we went to the Buddhist temple, those people were on their faces worshipping gods that to us appear to be nothing more than statues. We, on the other hand, have a God who loves and adores us dearly, who is real and everlasting, but for some reason, in our Christian society, we do not treat our God as though he deserves our faces to the ground. Why is that? Does He deserve any less? Are we afraid of what others may think?
And so that was that conversation.
Today, Sunday, October 16, we attended our usual Sunday morning service. But today God used a sweet 6-year-old-boy to remind me to be a doer of the Word, and not just a hearer. As our associate pastor started to pray, my sweet son went to his knees, face to the ground and listened in earnest to the prayer. And I joined him, put my arm around him, and to myself thanked him for reminding me of my very own words just the week before. And for every prayer that was said while he was in attendance, he headed for the floor, humbling himself before God.
Maybe he will not remember this moment 10 years from now, but he did for a moment remember our conversation from last week. And he was not just a hearer, but a doer. He is 6, he remembered our conversation about worship, but he still did not have to react, but he did.
I do not know what the first-time visitors sitting beside us must have thought, and it does not really matter. What really matters is: Was God honored well today, was he truly worshipped in the true sense of worship?
I can sit all day and talk to my children about being a Christian, honoring God, worshipping Him, but if I do not walk the talk, it's all for not. So the prayer on my heart is James 1:22 Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves!
Lord, thank you for using Caleb to speak to my heart!

1 comment:
Wow! That is really amazing, Beth! Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment