Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

WHATCHA DO'IN WITH ALL THOSE GARDEN GOODIES?

We sure have enjoyed our little garden right off the back porch this year. And the kids have really enjoyed picking the fruits (or veggies, that is) of our labor.



And even though it is a small garden, by most standards, it still produced more than we could possibly eat at any one time. So I've had to come up with a few ideas in order to utilize all of those goodies so as not to waste. I'll tell you about a few, and then share some recipes at the end of this post, if you're interested. Maybe some of you will share your thoughts and ideas.

I have to say, as a true Southener, fried zucchini just cannot be beat. But what about that zucchini that's been sitting in your garden that you just haven't had time to get out there and pick, and by the time you do get out there it's BIGGER than your house? Don't throw it away, it just means it's time for zucchini bread. Which, by the way, freezes very well. Most of you probably have had zucchini bread. My recipe just happens to make two loaves, packed with two cups of shredded zucchini.

Now, if your family members are not big on eating their veggies, this is the perfect recipe for them. The bread is delicious and packs tons of vitamins. But I've actually turned my loaves into muffins. And here's what I do: I make all of my bread in muffin pans so that I can freeze them individually in a large gallon baggie. On busy mornings I can easily snatch a few out of the freezer, pop them in the microwave, and wha-la, you have a wonderfully healthy breakfast, packed with lots of vitamins and minerals. Unless you have kids like mine that love to slather butter on top.

And every year, like most of us in the south, we very much look forward to some yummy tomato sandwiches. You know, the one-topper tomato sandwich where it only takes one slice of heaven to cover the whole piece of bread. Yep, that's the kind I'm speaking of. Well, you can only eat so many tomato sandwiches so I've resorted to other measures that will make my life so much easier come this winter. You know I am not big on canning, so freezing is my next best friend. If you love tomato soup, you'll love this recipe I'm going to give you -- a yummy creamy roasted tomato soup.

Wintery Friday nights are our hot soup and sandwhich nights. So I've made and frozen lots of this wonderful soup for just those nights. The kids love it with a hot turkey and cheese sandwich (for dipping, of course), but I'll also give you a great pesto and mozzerella cheese recipe that is equally great for dipping.

And speaking of "pesto," I have really enjoyed this in my garden this year. Although I have been sharing this little delight with a night creature of sorts who happens to be happily munching away on my sweet basil. Can't say that I blame him. We eat it on everything these days, especially our melted cheese sandwiches, and anything "tomato." I've even made a little pesto with it myself. Have you truly ever had fresh pesto? It's amazing! You can also freeze your pesto as well.

I love having herbs that I can just go out and pick any time I need them, as much as I need, without wasting half the container waiting to use the rest. It's so nice!

I've also stewed my tomatoes, and now I'm experimenting with dried tomatoes packed in olive oil. It's been fun letting the kids help me cook. They enjoy it. I'm not crazy about clean-up duty, but ...

And of course in utilizing those tomatoes, a good salsa is always king around here, to dip your chips in!

So feel free to share if you have any great ideas about utilizing your garden goodies. Nothing beats the freshness of having your own garden. So if it sounds overwhelming to you, start out small. Most plants produce a good quantity so it may not take such a big garden like you might think. And most things are easy to grow, especially herbs, which will save you a lot of $ at the grocery store check-out.

RECIPES ~

ROASTED TOMATO SOUP (So easy and good)

Toss together; roast

5 LB. tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
6 garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 cup olive oil; salt and black pepper

Saute in 2 T. olive oil; stir in:

1 cup onion, chopped
2 cups water
2 t. suger
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. red pepper flakes

Finish with; garnish with:

1/2 cup heavy cream / springs of fresh basil

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Toss tomatoes, garlic, 1/4 cup oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Transfer to a casserole dish and roast about 40 minutes, or until very soft.

Saute onion in 2 T. oil in a large pot over medium heat 5-7 minutes. Stir in water, sugar, salt, pepper flakes, and roasted tomato mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Note: (Be careful blending when soup is HOT.)

Finish soup with cream and garnish each serving with a basil sprig. YUM!

Pesto-Mozzarella Dippers (makes 4)

Spread and layer:

8 slices crusty Italian bread, 1/2" think
4 T. unsalted butter, softened (divided)
8 t. Basil pesto
6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese

Butter the outside of your bread, fill the inside with pesto and cheese, and grill!

ZUCCHINI BREAD (SWEET) 2 Loaves

You'll need:

3 eggs

1 cup oil

2 cups sugar

2 cups packed grated zucchini (unpeeled)

1 t. vanilla

1 t. salt

3 cups flour (I substitute one cup of white flour for wheat flour)

1 1/4 t. soda

1/2 t. baking powder

3 t. cinnamon

1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Beat eggs. Add oil, sugar, vanilla, and salt.

Add all dry ingredients; mix until moistened. Fold zucchini in to mixture. Pour into 2 well greased loaf pans. (To make your life easier when removing the bread, line the bottom of the pans with wax paper and grease the paper for easily lifting out of pan.) Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr. or until done. If you decide to do muffin tins, cooking time will be about 20-25 minutes, but cooking times may vary, depending on your oven, so check them before removing and eating.


1 comment:

Wizardress said...

These sound SO good- I love all the recipes but the soup sounds absolutely heavenly, plus a quick meal on those cool evenings.

I received this email recently from sparkpeople.com. I'm going to probably make them this week and freeze some. They look fantastic and I wanted to share.

Chef Meg's Zucchini Muffins

These muffins are very filling!

The whole wheat flour makes for a dense muffin, which I like. You only need to eat one! If you want a lighter muffin try using whole wheat pastry flour, which is more finely ground and available in the bulk bins at larger grocery stores.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 c zucchini, grated
1 1/2 c rolled oats (not instant)
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 t baking soda
2 t cream of tartar
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 c honey
1/4 c pineapple juice concentrate
1 t vanilla
3/4 c applesauce, unsweetened
8 oz crushed pineapple, drained
2 egg whites
6 dried apricots, finely chopped
1/4 c pecans, chopped
2 T flax meal

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat two muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray. Grate zucchini and place in paper towels or cotton cloth; squeeze to remove moisture. In a mixing bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and spices. In a separate bowl combine honey, applesauce, drained pineapple, apricots, vanilla, and pineapple juice. Stir in egg whites. Combine the wet mixture with the dry; stir only until combined. Portion out 18 muffins in the prepared tins. Combine pecans with flax meal; top each muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.

Number of Servings: 18