We've been camping, fiddling and dancing, all in one week. We spent the better part of the week camping in Galax, VA, home of the biggest and oldest music festival in the world. 30,000 people come from all over the world to camp for a week at Felts Park and vie for top positions in their respective categories of competition. If you love music, it's the place to see and be seen, hear and be heard. There were people there from Australia, the Czech Republic, (let's not forget Lexington, NC), and beyond. If you think you hear talent on the radio, you've heard nothing. So much talent out there that will never make it to the big stage. But each year Galax musicians hit the airways during competition on radio station 98.1. Amazing talent is all I can say. Greg had a hard time picking out jam sessions because it was hard to keep up with these youngens. Lots of Nashville people, lots and lots of young people.
Greg has always liked Bluegrass music. And I always snubbed my nose at it, refusing to listen to it. My impression of it was whining, and something that sounded like singing. But Bluegrass has taken on a new genre with the young these days. Who can pick the fastest, who is the best. It's a fun, upbeat music, and most of the festivals are family friendly. But Galax is the festival of all festivals, if you're a music lover.
We also experienced a funnel storm while we were there. I can say that was my first. The wind picked up out of nowhere and soon tents were flying everywhere, tarps were flying everywhere. When a tent flies by you, you sort of feel like you're in the Wizard of Oz. Our tarp actually ended up through the window of my car. I'm thankful my window was down already. Kids were running, yelling, screaming. And in a flash, it was over.
Mary Edna a/k/a The Soup Lady has been coming to Galax for over 30 years. She's not called The Soup Lady for nothing. Every day she's preparing huge pots of soup for all those late night pickers. If you're hungry in the wee hours of the morning, just stop by and grab some soup at her campsite. And believe me, the music went on 24/7. Our neighbors played all day and all night long, until 3:00 and 5:00 a.m. in the morning. I had to come home just to get some sleep!
I told my friend Jodi, "I guess you truly gotta love it."
She said, "No my friend, that's just plain dysfunctional."
I would have to agree.
And then there's my little Laci who competed in the Old Time Youth competition. Giving it all she got, she took home 4th place, again. She was so excited. I know 4th place doesn't sound all that exciting, but we're talking out of 30 kids from all over the country. And even more exciting, her Mimi was able to be there too and share in her excitement! My mom was glad she was able to come.
But even more exciting, her ribbon was ... pink! As she exited the stage after receiving her ribbon, she hit the stairs and yelled "whoo-wee, I've got a pink ribbon." This is being aired live on radio, mind you! All participants also received a metal for Galax's 75 years in the making -- their Diamond Jubilee year. That's how long this festival has been going on. It's older than me! It's older than Greg's dad!
When Laci finished competing, WSLS News out of Roanoke interviewed Laci and asked her what it is that she likes so much about coming to these festivals. Her reply? "Me and my dad get to play together."
Festivals, it's one of our kids favorites!
Next I'll share with you Laci's dance recital this past weekend. It was awesome. And my little Caleb starts soccer practice on the 30th. His first year. He's so proud of his new soccer shoes! They make him run faster, you know.

1 comment:
Sure like that pink ribbon, Laci! Bring that fiddle on up to Cherokee this weekend. We'll bring the soccer ball so Caleb can get some pre-practices in. And yes, cleats make for some fast feet!
Post a Comment