Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The 10 Commandments

Greg and I have had the wonderful pleasure of teaching the 5th and 6th graders in Sunday school this quarter. They are so smart and a whole lot of fun. We just love them. We've been working through an in-depth study on the 10 Commandments through memorization of catechisms. It has sparked much conversation.

But do you know that commandment, "Love your neighbor as yourself?" Boy, that's a hard one sometimes, isn't it? Our conversation actually led to some very serious talk about those who are mean to you at school and pick on you. In other words, bullying you. Boy, how hard it is to love and be nice to those who pick on you and call you names, maybe even hit you. And one of the children that this has happened to even said, "I don't forget about it. It's always with me." And he's such a smart, sweet boy. You just wonder "why?"

These are very hurtful things that are hard to deal with as an adult much less a child. We discussed it in class, how we should treat these other children that are not so nice, but we also stressed the fact that it's important their parents knew about their situation. They did, of course, but you never know.


My heart was breaking because I remember some of the people in my junior high that was the subject of such bullying. I wonder where they are today and what they are doing. I know those days affected their lives in some way. I considered myself friendly to everyone, and knew the children on both ends of the spectrum, but I sure wish I would have been more of a bold, in-your-face kind of person that would have stood up for those kids more than I did.

Another friend of mine who has a daughter in second grade, who goes to one of the best schools in our county, says to her mom, "Oh, mom, I can't wear that, none of the girls would be friends with me." So sad. She's only in second grade, the same grade as Laci. I don't even think any of us cared what kind of clothes we wore until we reached junior high. I'm so glad my kids don't know what designer clothes are, yet.

Bullying is a very hurtful thing. Please pray these children can still show the love of Christ in the midst of hurtful times. It would be a seriously hard thing for me as a parent, so pray for their parents too.


We've been trying to teach our children about loving one another and being kind to one another as sometimes they are also very hurtful to one another in their actions and behavior. It's not okay to be mean to others, and it is not okay to be mean to your family members. "Love your neighbor" means EVERYONE! Most people joke about sibling rivalry as if it's normal, and I suppose it is, but Greg and I don't want it to be the norm in our family, just like I wouldn't want my children to think it's okay to laugh or pick on someone else.


This subject has been weighing heavy on my mind. I know many children face this subject every day. It saddens me. One might be shorter than most of their peers, or really intelligent and wants to learn, or maybe cannot afford the same clothes as you ~ these are the types of things we are being judged on by our peers.

We'll all stand before our Maker and Creator one day, and I can assure you, he won't be inquiring of the type of clothes you wore, how popular you were, or how big your house was!

No comments: