Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A HOMESCHOOLER ~

This Thanksgiving week it was my plan to have only two days off, but when your children revolt, it's then time to get creative. And for us, that might mean taking the party outdoors ~




On a really nice fall day, a change of scenery will sometimes do the trick.

And when all else fails, you stay in your PJs all day and watch educational movies like the great "Civil War." Something appropriate toward your studies.



Or break out the homemade geography floor puzzle. We've been studying everything "American History" so for geography it's only fitting we memorize our states and capitals.



PUBLIC SPEAKING AND PRESENTATION ~ the 11 states that seceded from the Union ~ also using our lovely homemade floor map ~



SCIENCE ~ Your organs and their functions ~
A really fun project for the first semester. We laid down on paper, drew the shapes of our bodies, and each week studied different organs, and colored and pasted them to our bodies. A great hands-on visual to help kids learn about how the body works.





ART - OILS shapes and colors and ROMERO BRITTO
We've enjoyed our art class at the library this year. And since it's only 5 miles away, mama loves it even more :)
We've been studying shapes, types of paint and Romero Britto. He's an artist whose paintings are bright colors and abstract in nature. We're studying an artist who is still alive? So NOT Classical. But his art is fun. Now our home is surrounded by lovely art ~

Nothing like a psychedelic zebra.



And the holidays would not be complete without a partridge in a pear tree ~







And I'm thankful for structured art or some said art around the house may look like this ~



We've had a great school year so far (although I cannot and will not vouch for the rest of the year). I've come to learn to live by my daughter's notes hanging on our wall ~



Everyone's school looks a little different. And I can't promise my children will never go to "real school," as my kids like to refer to it, but for now this is this season of our lives.

I am thankful for our time together, albeit some days challenging. So many more things to be thankful for.

I do hope you and your families have a lovely Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Beth said...

You're such a great homeschool mom! I love all the art and cool projects!