Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THERE'S BEEN A REVELATION!

Revelation\re-ve-la-shen - c: a pleasant often enlightening surprise, enlightening or astonishing



There's been a revelation in the Broom household. I even looked the word "revelation" up in the dictionary to make sure my words matched up with my utter surprise and shock! As I've told you guys before, each day I send Laci and Caleb to their rooms for a little quiet time, a little time for themselves and to do something just BY THEMSELVES. Well, today I heard Laci in her room with her door shut and I heard her talking, to herself, I thought. When I opened the door I found her reading (by herself, aloud) her reader book. Now you have to know, reading is not Laci's favorite subject. Each day I make her get her book out and read for at least 15 minutes. After all the gripes and grumbles, we get the book out and low and behold she reads just wonderfully. I don't know why she doesn't like it, she does a good job and she's now reading first grade readers.

Well, I was shocked to find her reading by herself, on her own. She's never even attempted to read anything on her own. She only had five (short) chapters left in her reading book before getting a wonderful Certificate of Completion at the end of the book. Actually, this is what she was really after! Had I known this little paper would have motivated her so much, I would have told her about it much sooner.

Could it be my little five-year-old wildcat has found something quiet and constructive to do with her time? And get this, I come back later and find Caleb sitting in her room quietly listening to her read (more quiet than he is when I'm trying to read aloud to them). But little does Laci know that this only means tomorrow she gets to start on Book 2!!!

1 comment:

Darcy @ m3b said...

I absolutely love when it clicks! I have two readers, and I still find absolute joy in the moments they sit and read on their own volition (which is every day now!)

Congrats to your beauty on this huge step.