Me and My Family

  • Me and the hub, we have 2 crazy kids, 2 even crazier dogs, and an adopted cat we call boo! (Cats really don't answer to their names anyway, right?) We love traveling together, music of all genres, the theater, and hanging with friends. We're on this journey called "life" together, and all I can say is "You'd better put your seatbelt on!" We learn together, laugh together, cry together, and, yes, even eat sushi together. We live one wild ride, and albeit crazy, we're doing it together!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Ancient Legends!

We've been studying ancient history. The Trojan Horse has become one of the kids favorite stories. There's a great book you can check out at your local library in the kids' section called Trojan Horse ~ The World's Greatest Adventure by David Clement-Davies. Your kids are sure to love it. It's a Level 4 reader with great pictures. If your kids aren't yet reading at Level 4 it makes for a great read aloud. I now know where the term "Achilles heel" comes from. I'm sure we studied ancient history in school, but obviously it didn't make much of an impact on me because I do not remember much of it. That's why we do not study history from a textbook but from real books. It makes it more fun. Especially with great pictures. I feel like I'm learning all the things I missed!

So ... when Greg called yesterday and informed the kids he had gotten free tickets to the UNCG basketball game - they went nuts. This was actually their very first basketball game. We've got baseball and football covered, and now basketball. Guess who UNCG's mascot is - none other than a Trogan himself.

I was off to Applebee's with a few other ladies having a lovely time, so of course Greg forgot the camera. So here's a replay ~




They came home with two miniature basketballs; two T-shirts, shot straight out of a cannon; and a few Trojan warrior hats. Greg had Laci on his shoulders hoisting her up to catch a basketball (and you wonder why she acts the way she does). Said Trojan mascot kept throwing them in her direction until she finally caught one. He also let Caleb admire all of his gear, i.e., helmet, spear, breastplate. Caleb was in his element for sure. 101% BOY.

There was so much excitement from my eldest by the time I got home. She was going 90 to nothing telling me of all the happenings of the night. Poor Caleb was so exhausted he passed out on his bed - with no sheets on it, fully clothed - I hadn't had time to finish washing before we all left for the night, and actually had forgotten about it. Greg quickly put him some sheets on and got him dressed for bed. Snow was headed our way and I had to make a run to the store before heading home.

Sounds like they had a good time. And so did mama!

1 comment:

Wizardress said...

I remember the achilles heel thing. I love how you teach your children with real books which allows them a much better wayto relate to stories and things that have happened in history. Caleb and Laci are lucky :)

Looks like they had a blast. Made me want to go myself!!

I was also glad to see that I'm not the only one who forgets about the linens when I'm changing the sheets :)