Are you going to give? You might save a life.
I never watch the news. I don't place too much faith in the media because I feel most of their reporting is more self-serving than informative. Needless to say, as I turned on the TV last night I was surprised to find there had been an earthquake in Haiti (yes, four days into it too). I know you're thinking, geez, does she live in a cave? I literally don't have much time to watch TV, although I suppose it is important to keep up with current events. I figure if it's big enough news then I will hear it word of mouth. Greg clicks on CNN on his computer every morning, ending the day with Fox News at night.
It's so frustrating going through all the red tape it takes between nations just to save a life, even. What do you think about all that red tape?
We have some very good friends in France that called us right away when Katrina hit to find out about our family members and whether they were okay. We talked with them several months after the disaster and they told us of the humanitarian efforts of people from all over France that gathered supplies to be shipped to the Gulf Coast. They were trying to do a good and noble thing. Only their gift was denied at Customs. At that point the US was not too far removed from the incidents of 911 and our security was heightened to an all time high. Nothing was coming into the US without being inspected, period. The manpower just was not there to inspect every piece of this cargo. Every available military force in North America was on the Gulf Coast tending to a disaster that spanned all the way from MS to LA. So the cargo was denied and the feelings of many Frenchmen hurt. It was in all the French newspapers, but no word of it around here. Our media was more focused on the disaster here than anything else. I can certainly understand the French's frustration, that would make me mad too, if I did not understand the reasons behind it. At the same time, I'm thankful, as an American, that our security was heightened. That was just the way it was then.
The best thing you can give in the beginning of any disaster is money! It's about survival at that point.
When a natural disaster occurs there's mass confusion and very little modes of communication. It's not as easy as one, two, three. Things take time. And I have to say, I have never been a big fan of Hillary Clinton, but I loved one of her interviews on CNN. What she was saying was right on the money (please, no one tell my husband I just said that). She said first, we need to save lives, provide food and water; then figure out shelter; and lastly, work on getting electricity and start rebuilding. In that exact order! She's right on. Rebuilding will take years. What good is electricity when there's no where to house it? They are five years out in MS and the rebuilding is still going on. Haiti has always been in bad shape, but now is an opportunity for the nations to help rebuild that island to be much better off than they were before.
Are you going to help?
There are orphanages over there with hundreds of adoptions that were in the midst of being processed. All of that paperwork is gone. But the UN is working really hard to go ahead and push those adoptions through because they know the children will be going home to their families that can provide them with food and water. Their ration is running low. I said to Caleb last night, I would love to go over there and bring some of those children home with me.
His response: Yahhhh! I would be a big brother, and I would take care of them (I know you would, sweet boy). (That would be much better than taking orders from your bossy six-year-old sister, right??)
Are you going to give?
The American Red Cross is a great place to start. Money is the most important thing you can give at this point. The Red Cross was an ever presence on the Gulf Coast during their disaster, providing boxes of food and medical care. They are very reputable and you can count on your money going where it needs to go. You don't have much to give, you say? Text 90999 on your cell phone and send $10, if that's all you have, or go to redcross.org if you'd like to send more.
You may save a life!
We're giving. I hope you will too!


1 comment:
I gave too- and I agree with you. It is important to give and to help the best way that we can. If I could bring one of those children home with me, I would do it in a second, although I did see on the news that right now they are trying to be VERY careful and protecting the children because they are very worried that in the midst of this disaster that some will be wrongfully adopted or taken and used for the wrong reasons.
Today when I went to the grocery store, there were two little girls (probably 6 and 10) standing in the foyer with a little table. They asked me if I wanted to buy a cup of hot chocolate for 50 cents because they were raising money for Haiti. I couldn't help but get tears in my eyes. I told them I didn't want any hot chocolate but I did want to help them, so I gave them 5 euro. You should have seen their faces. They are learning to help others at a young age and I admire that.
If only we could all show such compassion to those around us in all times, not just times of need. Imagine the difference in the world around us then.
Post a Comment